Dedan and his family

Dedan and his family
Dedan, wife Susan and children Lucy, Sospeter and Benson

Wednesday 11 March 2009

No Kenyan coffee at the local cafe! What's with that?

Jambo!(Hello in Swahilli)
Today Dedan and Chris did a tempo ride to the end of the Oceanside bike path and as Chris put it..Dedan 'had good legs'...well one leg for now but it's a cycling term which means a variety of things. For example, 'could have gone on forever', 'legs felt great', 'it was an effortless ride', 'nailed the pace', 'had good form', 'was off the front'...basically it's a great day when a cyclist has good legs! I also think Dedan is over his jetlag and adjusting to Southern Cal life and just loving the riding.

Enjoying our spring weather:

After breakfast Dedan went to the library while Chris and I were seeing clients and he caught up on all his emails, tested his english speaking skills and then later in the afternoon met up with me to check out the local E Street Cafe. I introduced him to all the staff (who are super cool and friendly)and then Dedan asked for Kenyan coffee. 'Dude we don't have any'...dang Dedan had to have English breakfast tea!! I was hoping that they would have coffee as we were due to do another weight training session at 4.00pm and I had a few new exercises up my sleeve!The wonderful JP Sears was at the cafe chilling and so Dedan got to meet him and then we were on our way to the bank for another English speaking experience. Believe it or not....I shut up and let him speak....I actually can stop talking you know ....ok.. well for a few seconds. No seriously Dedan did well and his english is coming along in leaps and bounds. Pretty soon he will be conversing confidently.

Our training session today was an eye opener for him. I introduced dead lifts into his program and he was able to hinge at the hips and really use his spine but the Bosu balance work was fatiguing for him and so were the Yoga poses. His eyes lit up when he saw the twister ball and he really gave it a beating but I think his abs may be sore in the morning.Oh well..you live and learn!!
New Exercise on the Bosu:



Dedan stretching his calves:
After the work out we hit the supermarket as Dedan wanted to get something. He was trying to show me what he wanted but I was never any good at charades and so it was lost on me. He knew the Swahilli word and so we cruised the aisle until he found it. Guess what it was? Peanut butter! Bless...then came the..'yo! you're in America. What kind do you want?' Yes Dedan...there's more than one type. How do you explain the word crunchy without all the other punters in the aisles wondering if you're on crack?

Anyway, more cycling tomorrow on the indoor trainer and then we're visiting the post office.
Dedan checking his email at our home:

Just mundane stuff for us but I tell ya a whole world of experience for Dedan.
I'm warning you - his spirit is infectious!
Cheers
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment