Dedan and his family

Dedan and his family
Dedan, wife Susan and children Lucy, Sospeter and Benson

Sunday 29 March 2009

Cracked socket, Visit from Patty, Racing again, Fast cars - all in one weekend!

Hey,
Can you say PINCH?
Ah yes...the lesson was a success BUT the temporary walking socket cracked as a result on Thursday!!! (At least we know he's putting weight on that leg and using it.) Kel did say that the socket was temporary and usually only lasted 2 weeks. He was right! Poor Dedan....He was walking back from the library on Thursday morning having checked his email, striding up the small hill to his house and then he heard a noise as the socket cracked...close to a sensitive part of the male body I might add and he learnt a new english word in the process....think lobster claw, think flying crab claws...think PINCH!!! Oh!la!la! When we looked at the socket there was a crack which we thought superglue and tape would mend but that wasn't to be. So walking lessons are on hold until Dedan gets his permanent socket when he visits Kel on Tuesday this week.

Visit from Patty Kolb:
A couple of weeks ago we got a voicemail message from a woman called Patty who had heard through friends of friends of what we were doing with Dedan and wanted to offer her help regarding Dedan and apologised that she would not be able to attend our fundraiser on March 14th. She said she was going to be out of town and wanted to meet him later. She sounded really upbeat(which is always a plus) but what grabbed my attention was the fact that she was/is a double above the knee amputee. Whoa...I called her back straight away and her insight, knowledge regarding the whole prosthetic leg process and the importance of the socket fitting correctly was unbelievably helpful and we planned to meet when she was back in town. Well ..that happened Friday. What an awesome woman!!! Gracious...check, full of life...check, two prosthetic legs...check and Dedan may even have a bit of leg envy because Patty...you got the bling, bling legs! Patty showed us her legs which are cool and have a USB port in them and also mentioned that when her children were younger she had legs which were waterproof so she could swim. Since Friday..all I have heard from Dedan is that you have water legs!!!Gurl....he can't be taking three legs back to Africa!!
Dedan and Patty:


Seriously, it was great for us to meet Patty and her friend Marlene. Dedan loved it..so thanks to both of you for visiting..it was a special moment.













Devil Dog Duathlon and Team Ireri:
On Saturday Chris, Dedan and I did the Devil Dog Duathlon (5km run/30km bike/5km run)on Camp Pendleton, our local marine base. Chris and I entered as individuals and Dedan entered as the cycle part of a relay - 'Team Ireri' with David Baker our speedy runner and friend!! 'Team Ireri' did well finishing 6th out of 17 in a time of 1 hour 29 mins and 54 seconds...way to go boys!!

Team Ireri - David Baker and Dedan:




Chris Maund, David Baker and Dedan just before the start:


Transition - anyone for a bike?


Chris's race was OK, but not up to his usual standard/high expectation. He had a FAST bike but according to Mr Maund, he needs to now work on his running as his top end speed isn't up to par. He actually won his age group but that's not the point, that's not what he was after! Dang..I'd be whooping and a hollering! Alas ..someone had to have a bum race..and yep it was me. I held back on the first run (knowing that there was a second one after the bike) and had a blistering bike. I had cycle legs on Saturday. I tell ya.. for 28.7km I was HOT and then...you wouldn't believe it..I got a flat tire, 1.3kms from the finish of the cycle leg. I took my cycling shoes off and started running to the finish and lost so many places that it was sickening..all the girlies I had ridden past were now smoking me...no I didn't have a spare tube and hence my dilemma. Once I got to the transistion I decided to do the second run knowing that my finish time would not reflect my actual race. Oh well..'tis early season.

Chris being the filler of a Dedan and Janet sandwich - Can you say get a tan Brit Boy?:





















Fast cars and Palomar Mountain:
I did an an easy bike ride Sunday morning and then went to a girlfriends birthday brunch out at Poway which was lots of fun. When I got home around 2pm there was a hand written note from Chris... "We have taken your bullet up Palomar!"

Hmm..translated it means I have taken your fast, silver BMW M3 (which is called the bullet due to the speed it can generate) and Dedan and I are out in the countryside somewhere having a good 'ol boy time but I'll throw the word Palomar in there as it will then look like I am showiing Dedan where we will be riding in a couple of weeks, but in actual fact I am zooming around the corners of the 21 hairpins that go up Palomar!
Check out the photos....scouting out the Palomar ride? or just boyz being boyz?
You tell me....







Hmm..can't see any bikes on Palomar...but Dedan certainly looks good wearing my car..and no he is not driving it...well at least I don't think he is...
OK
I'm outta here
Cheers
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment